Do you remember when you first heard the term ITSM? Yeah, me neither, but I am sure it was when I first started reading about ITIL.
Before ITIL/ITSM, IT staff were fighting fires, being reactive. IT knew everything and we dismissed what users knew or wanted (Pssst… you can still find that mind-set today). Today we are preventive and proactive (ex. Problem and Change management). We work with our clients and listen to them!! It has become a partnership. In part, this comes from applying ITSM principles to properly manage technology in alignment with business needs, after all you can’t work in a vacuum. ITSM uses ITIL as well as other disciplines to achieve that alignment.
Over time, ITSM-based tools for incident tracking have evolved to add functionality for the business side of enterprises, not just the IT shop. These tools support the panoply of ITSM processes:
• Incident Management – Daily operation / restoring operations
• Problem Management – Proactive management of incidents in order to eliminate future occurrences
• Change management – Standard method to implement system changes
• Configuration management – understanding the inventory of systems and their relationships
• Service Catalog – One stop shopping platform for the business and customers issues and needs
+ a whole lot more
But what does ITSM do?
As nicely described by ServiceNow, ITSM helps:
• Enhance the service experience – automation and speed of resolution
• Consolidate IT services – improve resources and performance
• Improve IT productivity – Knowledge bases and automated resolution
• Gain visibility into processes and services – Reports, KPIs and Analysis in real-time
But be aware, today ITSM-based tools are going beyond IT. A good ITSM platform, like ServiceNow, also offers solutions for departments such as Human Resources, project management or supply management.
ServiceNow brings these departments speed of execution and resolution as well as increased customer satisfaction - all through your mobile.